The last few steps…
This edit was also about cutting. I stripped a further 10 words from this section.
The final result:
The final edit didn’t include much in the way of changes for the first part of my story. I did have changes through the document. The entire document (including the start of chapter 3) came to 2086 words.
Compare this with the original 2043 words (that’s only chapters 1 and 2). I’ve removed a number of superfluous words, made the text more succinct and I have picked better verbs, all this should help the reader to get a better picture of what I’m trying to say.
I submitted the story at this point, fairly happy with the metamorphosis it had taken from the first gritty version.
Keep an eye out for the final installment of this editing series, once I’ve gotten feedback from my teacher and the whole story as it currently stands.